In the summer of 2014 we prioritised research into the specifics of GP access in Tottenham Hale. Currently we are working with partners including NHS England and Haringey Clinical Commissioning Group to progress a related action plan. This interim report continues a GP primary care focus. This work was needed because:
- Focus group meetings with local community groups had identified variations in the availability of translation services for those who do not speak English.
- People with learning disabilities had told us that double time appointments were not routinely offered to them when attending their GP as patients.
- Individuals contacting our signposting service had told us that GP practice’s feedback and complaints procedures were not consistently made available.
By visiting GP practices during surgery hours our survey aimed to find out about:
- Premises access.
- Involvement (patient participation groups).
- Interpreting services (including language, support for deaf people).
- Appointment systems for people with learning disabilities.
- Availability of complaints information and support.