There are three ways to complain about a GP practice, but you can only use one. Choose one of the options below, whichever you feel most comfortable with and the one that suits your needs.

Top tips for making a complaint to your GP

Complain directly to your GP surgery

At every GP surgery, there has to be a procedure to deal with complaints, and someone who is responsible for dealing with complaints. Talk to the reception staff or to the practice manager and ask them how to make a complaint.


Complain to NHS England

NHS England is responsible for a GP’s contract and making sure that GPs carry out the terms of their contracts. If you have a complaint about your GP surgery you can complain to NHS England who commissions the service. For example, you may not feel comfortable about complaining directly to your GP, so you could complain to NHS England instead.

Phone: 0300 311 22 33

Put ‘For the attention of the Complaints Manager’ in the subject line.

Write to:
The Complaints Manager
PO Box 16738
B97 9PT

When they get a copy of your complaint, they will take a note of your complaint and arrange for it to be passed to a case officer who will take the lead in the investigation.


Complain about out-of-hours services

This is the service that you use if you need to see a doctor outside of normal working hours (6.30pm - 8am during weekdays, and 24 hours at weekends and on bank holidays). In Haringey Barndoc provides non-emergency out-of-hours GP cover for all residents.

If you have a complaint about an out-of-hours GP contact the Barndoc Patient Experience Team with your name, contact details and full details of your complaint:

Phone: 08445 609 600
calls charged at 5p/min from any UK landline origin. There is no connection charge for using this number.


Write to:
Patient Experience Team 
Barndoc Healthcare Limited
Churchwood House
Cockfosters Road

For more information please visit the Barndoc (link to website) website.

Complain about an individual doctor

The General Medical Council registers doctors to practise in the UK and has the powers to issue a warning to a doctor, suspend or place conditions on their registration or remove a doctor from the register:


Citizens Advice also provide information on making GP complaints.

Find out more


Not happy with the way your complaint was dealt with?

Health Service Ombudsman

If you're unhappy with how the NHS have dealt with your complaint, contact the Health Service Ombudsman (link to wesbite).

Health Service Ombudsman service is free and is independent, not part of the NHS or Government and their powers are set down in law.

You can get in touch with the Health Service Ombudsman Monday – Friday between 8:30am to 5:30pm:

Phone: 0345 015 4033


Text: 'call back' with your name and mobile number to 07624 813 005 (and they'll call you back).

Textphone on 0300 061 4298 if you are deaf or have problems using a standard telephone.

Write to:
Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
London SW1P 4QP

Care Quality Commission (CQC) 

You may also contact the Care Quality Commission (CQC) (link to CQC website) who will use any information received as part of their inspection process to ensure that the provider meets the required standards for quality and safety of service users.

Need help?

Healthwatch Haringey is not able to support people in making an individual complaint. This is known as a complaints advocacy service. The NHS Complaints Advocacy Service (link to website) provide a free, independent service for Haringey residents. Their website is dedicated to helping you understand what your options are and how to get the best resolution.

If you wish to complain about a National Health Service (NHS) please call London POhWER on 020 3553 5960, nationally on 0300 456 2370 or email